Saturday, 6 August 2016

My Rehabilitation - AKA 2016 in 2016 Ride #30

So, after nearly 4 weeks of recovering from a back injury, I finally got out on my bike for a short training ride. I've still not fully recovered (it is either a trapped nerve or an inflamed disc) but the only discomfort I found was actually getting on the bike - it was easier to climb on from behind rather than trying to swing a leg over. I'm sorry I can't word that part any better with euphemisms getting in the way!

The ride was nothing too arduous; a quick circuit around a 4 mile route (the furthest point being just over 2 miles from home) and I took along a friend as a chaperone. I ended up doing 3 circuits of the route, followed by a quick jaunt on to the next village with a final climb on the return leg of an hill with quite a steep gradient with a sweeping near 90 degree bend. I had a plan to tackle this part: I was to take the middle of the road and swing round - that was until 7 cars appeared behind and decided to overtake at that point!

The only mishap on the ride was when my seat and seat-post moved slightly after I hit a pothole. It was enough movement to make the handling of the bike feel strange.

After the ride I noticed that the only back pain I was suffering was at the mirror opposite of where my current injury is. My non-medically trained brain thinks that this my back simply readjusting for over-compensation for the injury. Or I could just be on the verge of pulling another muscle!

Anyway, you can check out the ride here. If this is the first time you have read a post then you won't know that I'm doing all of this in the name charity - a 3 day cycle event from Wakefield to Roubaix, covering about 270 miles. If you would like to sponsor me in this quest, then you can do so here.

Oh, and special thanks has to go to Phil for being the chaperone for the ride. I'm just grateful that CPR wasn't required!

No comments:

Post a Comment