Monday, 23 May 2016

Who Da Man? Who Da Certifiably Crazy Madman?

The weather has turned slightly nicer (well OK, by that I mean there's more daylight in the evenings!) and I've been out and about in the saddle more in the last 2 weeks that I have in the first 4 months of this year! I've clocked over 200 miles in 7 days. I really do need to get my finger out if I want to complete my goal of 2016 miles in 2016. Up to this point I had only done about 150.

A couple of things have spurred me on; the first one being a funeral! They're always good for reflection and for those moments of clarity where you have that epiphany! The second was a letter from my local Hospice asking if I wanted to partake in this year's Challenge.

A piddly little jaunt around the Dales of Yorkshire for this year thought I? Sign me up! But what’s this? No Dark Peak Challenge this year? It would appear not. It looks like the Wakefield Hospice is going the whole nine yards this time with the "once in a lifetime event" of cycling from Wakefield to Roubaix, in 3 days! So that's about 280 miles in total, including cobbles and a velodrome, in 72 hours! 

I’ll think I’ll pass as this maybe isn’t for me! After all I’ve got less than a year’s worth of cycling under my belt! And the furthest I’ve ridden so far is just over 60 miles. It would take a certifiably-crazy-madman to agree to do this. After some thought and a lengthy discussion with the family,  where I raised my objections quite vocally, it would appear to them that I am that certifiably-crazy-madman!

Tonight I just signed up to the toughest challenge I think I’ve ever faced to date!



No comments:

Post a Comment