Saturday, 11 July 2015

The Inaugural Ride

Finally the time had come. I had bought the bike, the equipment and the clothing. Either this was going to be fun or one of those "got all the gear but no idea" experiences.

My intention was to keep the ride short and to hope that none of the neighbours saw my Lycra-clad body. I failed on both objectives. The neighbours seemed to be leaving their houses the same time as me (good job I had sunglasses on!) and the "ride around the block" turned in to a 17 mile venture that went further out than I ever anticipated. 

I won't bore you with the minutiae of the ride, if you really want to know the finer details you can check it out here. It is safe to say that I did enjoy myself - even moreso than I would have ever expected after covering 17 miles! And those Lycra padded pants? They were top dog; I never realised once that I was sat on a razor blade!

The one thing of note that did happen though was that first-blood was drawn less than a quarter of a mile from my house. I changed the gears on an uphill stretch and unluckily for me I changed them in the wrong direction. With unexpected slackness in the chain the pedal lurched forward and my knee, unceremoniously, clattered in to the handle bar. With blood now running down my leg, from the cut on my knee, I just carried on. I may not have an idea about cycling, but I can certainly look the part!

Edit: Post has been backdated to recall the events as they happened - originally written 14/8/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment