Friday, 10 July 2015

I've Only Gone and Done It!

My mind now made up and it was now today. No more tomorrows!

I took a trip to my local bike shop in Dewsbury. A quaint establishment called Bill Hargreaves Cycles. Not as "shop-fronty" as the likes of Evans Cycles. In fact upon first viewing the shop it looks a little run-down from the outside.

But looks can be deceiving.



As soon as you walk through the doors it is a treasure trove of bikes, accessories and supplies. You name it and I'm sure they have it. The staff were as friendly as can be. I was given time to peruse the wares and at no time did I feel like I was being hounded or pressured in to buying.

After about an hour of looking and trying I eventually decided upon the Trek 1.2 (2013). It was the last one in stock and the frame was my size. Because of this I got a little more knocked off of the asking price too!


Bike sorted. Just the kit next. I was pointed to the Lycra section. What me in tight figure hugging clothes with a fat padded bottom on show? You're having a laugh aren't you...oh, wait on, this is serious. I got the feeling that it was the expected norm. Oh, OK then. Go on - so long as no one will laugh at me.

Shoes, cleats, fancy clip on peddles. Me thinking "How do I get my feet out of these in a fall?". Oh I knew the answer to that one, I simply won't fall!

Water bottles and holders, saddle bag, spare inner tube and tyre levers. That's it. Me done. There is no looking back - unless I am in the saddle of course!

The only sticking point after I left the shop was "how the hell do I get home with all of this?" I had to work some serious magic with the car seats. I know, a bit of an oxymoron going on here. Maybe I should have walked to the shop - but that would have felt, you know, like exercise!

Edit: Post has been backdated to recall the events as they happened - originally written 6/8/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment